Here is a quick and dirty version of what happened. I will post a detailed account to annoucements later. I am posting this here for rumor control.
- Called host inquiring about how to cancel servers under contract (databases were still under contract web servers were not). Was informed by faxing in a form I could cancel the contract. I was led to believe that I would be able to cancel servers separately at a later date.
- I faxed the form to get the ball rolling.
- Woke up to multiple text messages and email stating site was down. Logged into to hosting control panel to see both servers deleted.
- Called support to try to end cancelation, they informed me that only billing can handle that and billing is only open M-F 9-5
- Called billing and was told that the forms I sent in were for server termination and they did just that without emailing or calling me. I gave them quite a piece of my mind, but was told that they did nothing wrong. Even though their rep gave me bad info.
- Eventually got ahold of support and managed to get them to save my hard drives from the old servers.
- Had to order new database servers
- New database servers were finally ready
- After wrangling with support for about 4 hours I got the old drives in the new servers
- Got servers up and cleaned the databases and made backups of them immediatly
- Brought site up
- Fixed error with 1 webserver causing issues